A recent article in the Wall Street Journal reported that according to experts, there is no perfect position and there is no one right way to sleep! Because sleep is such an important part of a healthy lifestyle, it is vital to find the position that is most comfortable for you and allows you to have the best night’s sleep possible. People with certain medical conditions and pain should determine what position works best for them that can help to aid or eliminate their problem.
Here are some interesting sleep position facts:
1. The three basic sleeping positions (in order of their popularity) are side, back and stomach with variables to each of these; each position has its own advantages and disadvantages.
2. Sleep specialists recommend side sleeping for the most restful, uninterrupted sleep.
3. They do not recommend stomach sleeping as it could cause lower back and neck pain.
4. Sleeping in the same position can consistently compress one part of the body.
5. Sleep studies show that people move anywhere from 3-36 times a night; the average person switches about a dozen times.
6. Finding the right mattress and using pillows at various locations on and under your body can help you sleep well.
If you are having difficulty finding the most comfortable sleep position, do your research to determine what might help or consult a sleep specialist or physical therapist. Your sleep is too important to not make it the best it can be!